The Soil Dynamics section deals with the genesis and propagation of vibrations in the soil originated by construction work and how these are transferred to building structures. With regard to the problems caused by the impact of vibrations due to the construction process on soils in the foundation area of building structures, on building structures and people in the buildings, the section supports the Federal Waterways and Shipping Administration with forecasts, site tests and vibration-related recommendations for the execution of constructions and for the preservation of evidence.
- Producing vibration surveys during the planning phase
- Drawing up concepts for the conservation of evidence
- Experimental preliminary tests on vibration emission and immission
- On-going investigations and consultation during the construction period
- Expert analysis in cases of damage
- Collection and statistical processing of measurements for forecasting models