The website is published by
Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau
Postfach 21 02 53
Telefon: +49 (0) 721 9726-0
Fax: +49 (0) 721 9726-4540
Responsible for content
arxio GmbH (programming, realisation)
Studio GOOD, Berlin
The contents of www.baw.de webpages are designed to provide an accessible source of information about our institute to the general public and to convey an accurate picture of the activities, planning and projects undertaken by the Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau in the fields of structural, geotechnical and hydraulic engineering.
We assume no liability for completeness, editorial and technical errors, omissions, etc. or the accuracy of information on this website. The Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau assumes no liability for any damage arising from the use or non-use of the information provided. No liability is assumed for any damage caused to users by computer viruses when accessing or downloading data or when installing or using software. The Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau reserves the right, without prior notice, to change, supplement or remove the information provided on this website.
The Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau website may contain hyperlinks to the contents of external websites. We have no influence on the contents of such websites. We assume no liability for completeness, editorial and technical errors, omissions, etc. or the accuracy of information. The Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau does not endorse and is in no way responsible for any content that might be criminally or morally offensive or give rise to liability concerns.
Hyperlinks to the contents of external websites are provided for information purposes only.
Users of www.baw.de are requested to bring any illegal or erroneous third-party content to which links have been placed on the BAW website to the attention of the BAW online editorial team. Please also send an e-mail to the specified address if you believe information on our own website is incorrect, out-of-date, incomplete or not understandable.
Collection and processing of personal data
You can visit this website at any time without disclosing any personal details to us.
Whenever our server is accessed, a certain amount of data is stored for statistical and security purposes. In this case we only store, for a limited period of time,
- the domain name (DNS name) and
- the anonymised IP address of your computer (anonymisation is carried out by changing the last two bytes of the IP address to “0”)
- the browser
- the log
- the operating system that you are using
- the website from which you are visiting us
- the web pages you visit on our site
- the query error code
- the volume of data transferred as well as
- the date and time of your visit.
Use and disclosure of personal data
You can decide for yourself what information you entrust to us. If you enter any data on the website in order to use one of our services, this shall be done on a voluntary basis and the data shall only be collected and processed by the BAW to the extent that is required to enable us to provide the respective service.
Data collected from visits to the website of the Federal Waterways Engineering and Research Institute and stored on log files are transmitted to third parties only when required by law or court decision, or in cases when attacks on the Federal Waterways Engineering and Research Institute’s Internet infrastructure make it necessary to forward data for the purposes of legal action or criminal prosecution. No data shall be transmitted for other non-commercial or for commercial purposes.
The BAW’s social media sites
The BAW has no influence on the type and amount of data that is transferred and stored. Further information regarding the data collected by the channels used by the BAW, as well as the storage and use of this data can be found in the provider’s data privacy statement.
The BAW Data Protection Officer
Telefon: +49 (0) 721 9726-4550
All information on the website of the Federal Waterways Engineering and Research Institute (Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau, BAW) is protected by copyright. Unless stated differently, the content of these sites are provided under a CC BY 4.0 license (Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International). The expressions of opinion and/or statements of fact appearing on linked third-party pages are the sole responsibility of the author or authors and do not reflect BAW's opinion.
Please note: This English translation is intended as a convenience to non-German-reading customers and has no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. Only the German version shall be legally binding.
All freely accessible data of BAW may, in accordance with § 12a E-Government-Act (Act to promote electronic government (EGovG)), be re-used without any restrictions and without the need for compulsory registration provided that the source reference is indicated, as laid down in the GeoNutzV ordinance ("Verordnung zur Festlegung der Nutzungsbestimmungen für die Bereitstellung von Geodaten des Bundes: Ordinance to Determine the Conditions for Use for the Provision of Spatial Data of the Federation). As to the layout of source references, the BAW requests adherence to the following guidelines (cf. § 3 of the GeoNutzV ordinance):
- The obligation to indicate the enclosed source references shall apply to any data and other services of BAW that are used without alteration. Source references must also be indicated even if extracts or excerpts are used or if the data format has been changed. Displaying the BAW logo shall be considered as meeting the requirement of source reference in meaning of the GeoNutzV ordinance.
- In the event of more advanced alteration, processing, new design or other adaptation, BAW at least expects to be mentioned in a central list of references or in an imprint.
- Indication of alteration according to the GeoNutzV ordinance may read as follows: "Data basis: Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau, gridded data reproduced graphically"; "Data basis: Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau, averaged over individual values", or "Data basis: Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau, own elements added".
- If a service provided by BAW is used in a way that does not comply with its intended purpose, the enclosed source references have to be deleted. This shall especially apply to warnings for which there is no guarantee that they are delivered to all users at all times completely and without delay.
Wherever data or information from third parties is used for the generation of BAW-own products and services, BAW assures that it holds all necessary rights to do so.